How to Prevent Mold in the First Place
Here are a handful of easy tips to help prevent mold from growing:
- Keep humidity levels below 50% at all times.
- Rooms that get damp, like bathrooms and kitchens, should have ventilation, including an exhaust system, to keep humidity down. Also, don’t use carpeting in these areas.
- Make sure to clean bathrooms and kitchens with cleaning products that kill of mold.
- During humid weather, make sure to use an air conditioner or dehumidifier.
- Consider using mold inhibitors that be added to paints.
According to the Center for Disease Control, you should not attempt to clean-up mold that is more than 10 square feet in size.
If your mold problem is small, in many cases it can be cleaned from hard, non-porous surfaces using soap and water or a mixture of one cup bleach to one cup water. Make sure to open doors and windows to provide air ventilation and be sure to wear protective gloves and eyewear.
Note: it is important to both clean and dry the area thoroughly as allergic reactions to dead mold are possible, and you want to make sure to remove the entire source of the moisture.
If mold is problem or if you have any questions or doubts, your best bet is to call a professional like SERVPRO of Hackensack/Little Ferry. We can start the remediation process as soon as you contact us, and our specially trained mold damaged specialists can quickly get your home or business back to normal with the training and expertise required to effectively handle your restoration needs.