Cold weather, snow, ice, and storms can cause severe damage to your home or business. When these types of disasters strike, immediate action is necessary to prevent additional damage to your property. SERVPRO is always here to help and we want to give you tips to set up a basic emergency kit in case the unpredictable happens.
In a year filled with the unexpected, one thing that 2021 has shown us is, as the Boy Scout motto says, “Be Prepared.” Here are some basic items you should have in your Emergency Storm Kit:
- Water (one gallon per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio and an NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Dust mask (to help filter contaminated air)
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape (to shelter in place)
- Moist diaper wipes, garbage bags, and plastic ties (for personal sanitation)
- Pliers (to turn off utilities)
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
Also, look at www.ready.gov for more information on emergency kits!