Holiday Cooking Safey
The holiday season is upon us and it's a time when most people are busy getting their homes ready for large family dinners, guests and celebrations. With all that goes behind getting your house in perfect holiday order, it’s easy to get distracted and forget about safety. Here are some tips to remember while you cook that perfect holiday meal! Cooking is the No. 1 home fire hazard, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
- Always stay in the kitchen when cooking, and always keep an eye on the stove, oven or grill.
- Be careful of smoking oil – that is a sign that the oil is too hot and may ignite. Lower the flame or remove the pan from the heat.
- Never try to put out a pan fire with water. Baking soda works to extinguish a pan fire.
- It is now New Jersey law that every home must have a fire extinguisher within 10 feet of the kitchen area,
- Keep oven mitts, dish towels and other flammable items away from heating elements and open flames.
This family was lucky and the only casualty was the stove. We hope that during this holiday season everyone practices safety in the kitchen. If you do need our services, we are always a phone call away and available 24/7.