Basics of Smoke Damage
Smoke damage from a fire, no matter how large or small, can be devastating. Oftentimes smoke damage can be long lasting, which is why it is so important to take care of it immediately.
Behavior of Smoke
A fire loss can be very complex because of the unique behavior of smoke. SERVPRO of Hackensack/Little Ferry undergo extensive fire restoration training and certification, and understand the behavior of smoke.
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas.
- Smoke migrates to upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, using holes around pipes to go from floor to floor.
This enables us to take care of smoke throughout the entire home or office.
Knowing how smoke penetrates and lingers is only one part of being able to mitigate smoke damage. Knowing what types of smoke will greatly affect the restoration process as well.
Types of Smoke
- Wet smoke- Plastics and Synthetics
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
- Dry smoke- Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, dry. Powdery, non-smeary residues. Heat rises therefore the smoke rises.
- Protein Fire Residue- Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire.
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
- Fuel Oil Soot- Furnace Puff Backs
- While “puff backs” can create havoc for property owners, SERVPRO professionals can, in most cases, restore the contents and structure quickly.
Other smoke related services we offer are:
- Smoke and soot residues and deposits can cause permanent damage to contents and may result in periodically resurfacing odors if not properly deodorized.
- All salvageable contents in affected areas will be professionally cleaned and deodorized to preloss condition when possible. This includes area rugs, furniture, draperies, upholstery, electronics, clothing, photos, kitchen items, bedding and much more.
- SERVPRO provides specialized services
that rid structures of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. We do not merely cover up lingering odors with a fragrance, we seek out the sources of the odor and remove them.
- Proper deodorization is vital as odors may appear to be gone, only to reappear months later under different conditions, including when humidity levels rise.
It is important to understand why calling us in the event of a fire, no matter how large or small. The professionals at SERVPRO Hackensack/Little Ferry will help get you back to your lives and jobs as soon as possible.