Grab the Fire Extinguisher
One of the most obvious things you can do to limit fire damage is to extinguish the fire quickly. However, some of the most common causes of residential fires are Cooking (48%), Heating appliances (14%), and Electrical malfunctions (14%), and these are not safely or effectively extinguished with water.
I am a firefighter and last night we had a call at 4AM caused by an electrical outlet which was sparking and catching the wall on fire. These calls are very routine. As a homeowner, you do not want to spray water on an electrical outlet due to the risk of electrical shock. YOU NEED TO HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER IN YOUR HOME!
Fire extinguishers come in a variety of types based on the classification of fire they are designed to extinguish. For home use you should have a class ABC extinguisher which means is can extinguish class A fires (solid materials like wood), class B fires (liquids like gasoline or oil), and class C fires (electrical equipment).
Most towns require at least 1 extinguisher under the kitchen sink in order to obtain a certificate of occupancy to sell a home but these tend to disappear over time. Personally, I keep one under the sink, one on the wall in the laundry room, and one in the garage. At least maintain the class ABC extinguisher under your kitchen sink at a minimum.
If you do experience a fire, call the professionals at SERVPRO to help restore your home, “Like it never even happened.”